Simon’s Reagent Test Instructions
Simon’s reagent is a 2 part test, one part on its own is orange and the other colorless. It’s best to use Simon’s reagent to test PMMA vs PMA, MDMA vs MDA, or meth/amphetamine, but it’s also a good test for mephedrone and other secondary amines.
NOTE: Simon’s can only test the PRESENCE, not PURITY or QUANTITY of a specific substance. Always test under a strong light and using the smallest possible sample. Never open more than 1 bottle at once, if you make a mistake you might contaminate the reagents and spoil them. If a few reactions are happening at once, only the darkest one of them will be visible. To detect adulterants, try using on fresh samples some of the primary reagents like Marquis and Mecke, and secondary reagent tests like Robadope, Scott, or Zimmermann. If you don’t know yet how to test using Simon’s reagent, see the following instructions:
- On a clean ceramic surface (e.g. bottom of a mug or a plate) prepare a sample no bigger than this size -> ●
- Carefully not to touch the sample with the bottle, remove the cap from bottle A, twist the bottle upside-down and squeeze 1 drop out of the bottle. Replace the cap. Repeat with bottle B.
- Immediately observe the color change and compare it with Simon’s color chart. No reaction within the first 30 seconds or unexpected results indicate the sample doesn’t contain the expected substance or is adulterated.
- Flush the reaction in a sink under running water.
No reaction can be caused by PMA, MDA, MDPV, amphetamine, caffeine and many other substances (or lack of active ingredient). CHECK TESTDRUGS APP – TestDrugs.info
Common Simon’s color reactions:
- PMMA – immediate navy blue (needs tests Marquis and/or Mecke)
- MDMA – immediate navy blue (needs tests Marquis and/or Mecke)
- Methamphetamine – immediate navy blue (needs tests Marquis and/or Mecke)
- Mephedrone – light blue, navy blue spots (needs tests Marquis and/or Mecke and Zimmermann)
Find the best reagent test kits HERE. Next choose a purity testing kit. They can detect all adulterants at once, but still require reagent tests for identifying ingredients.
- To estimate purity of a substance (amount of adulterants and potency) use Substance Purity Test Kit.
- To precisly estimate MDMA potency use MDMA Purity Test Kit, which additionaly contains a calibrated plastic measuring tool.
CLICK HERE to download simon’s reagent color chart in full resolution.